Thursday, May 26, 2011

Cell Phone Madness

How did I go from, "I dream of having a cell phone some day," to "I left my cell phone at home. I'm having withdrawals, and it's only been two hours?" Seriously, I have major issues these days when it comes to "being connected."

I took my sister-in-law to the airport and as I was running out of the house grabbing diapers, children, shoes, and such, I left my precious cell phone lonely on my dresser. I didn't even realize I forgot it until we were sitting down to grab a bite to eat. Oh no! I forgot my cell phone. How will I make it to the airport and back without it? What if something happens, what if someone needs me? I asked my sister-in-law to text my husband telling him I forgot it and he shouldn't worry if I don't answer my phone.

I was doing fine without my phone, until, of course, I dropped her off. I waved good bye and drove off wondering "What do I do now?" I always talk to someone when driving a long distance or I might listen to a Bible study. All of my music is on my cell too. My adorable little boys were in the car, so I put a movie on for them. Listening to Toy Story 3 for like the 50th time would have to do for now.

That drive home was the longest I have ever experienced...even though it really took 35 minutes for me to make it home. I know that someone called me and I missed it. Someone texted me and I couldn't respond. Someone probably emailed me, and now I can only wait to see who was in need of me.

I think the reason why it was difficult to endure those 35 minutes (I know, pathetic) was due to the fact that I felt disconnected from the world. Technology has advance so greatly, that now we stay connected with people through our small cellular devices. I don't even have to speak a word to someone and I can be having a long conversation with them. At this moment I felt disconnected. I felt like so many people must be missing me and needing me and I had no way to help them! Will this drive go any slower!!!

I did make it home...alive. Ha! I pulled our boys out of the car, ran inside, straight to my cell, and sure enough...not one person tried to contact me in any way! Am I not that important? No one needed me. No one wanted to talk to me. And then, Jesus whispered to me:

"I wanted to talk to you. I needed you. You are so important to me and you ignored Me."

Gosh, a little humbling...or a lot! It is so easy to allow our devices to control us and keep us connected, but really how easy is it to put it down and give a little time to our Creator? I didn't. It wasn't easy for me. But now I know that next time, I will remember this and spend time connecting with Him first.

No comments: